Lowell man accused of armed assault with intent to murder

Sign up and start posting your content at MrMikeFrost.com – Its FREE!

LOWELL — A 45-year-old Lowell man accused of attacking a person with a knife earlier this week was deemed dangerous and held without bail following a hearing in Lowell District Court on Thursday.

Lowell Police charged Vanderci De Sousa with assault with intent to murder on Wednesday after allegations he viciously attacked a 41-year-old man who had confronted him about money owed, according to police reports available in court documents.

Police said they were called to the 700 block of Central Street early Tuesday for a report of a man “bleeding from the ears and neck.” Police said they found a 41-year-old man suffering from a “substantial contusion to the left side of his forehead which appeared to be caused by blunt force trauma.”

The alleged victim was taken to Lowell General Hospital’s Saints Campus where police said they determined from hospital staff that he suffered a puncture wound just below his chin that required several sutures. A CT scan determined the alleged victim did not suffer any further trauma and he had no life-threatening injuries.

According to police, the alleged victim initially told them he had been drinking with friends and woke up to find himself covered in blood. However, police said his story changed multiple times. At another time at the hospital, the man claimed he had a physical altercation and “may have been stabbed,” police said.

On Wednesday, police again talked to the alleged victim at his home, at which time he told them he had been assaulted late Monday night or early Tuesday morning by De Sousa. Police said the alleged victim told them that after a night of heavy drinking, he decided to knock on the door to De Sousa’s apartment on Abbott Street to confront him about the money owed.

According to police, the alleged victim claimed during the confrontation that De Sousa “grabbed him by the face and throat, pulled out a knife, and held it up to his neck,” and threatened to kill him.

After the alleged assailant cut “into his chin and neck area,” the alleged victim said he fell down the stairs of the apartment building. De Sousa then allegedly punched him in the face several times, police said.

According to police, De Sousa denied having any knowledge of the alleged attack. De Sousa was taken into custody by police without incident and arrested and charged with armed assault with intent to murder.

De Sousa is defended by attorney Benjamin Coleman, who said following Thursday’s dangerousness hearing that his client maintains his innocence in the case.

De Sousa is scheduled to reappear in Lowell District Court for a probable cause hearing on Jan. 27.

Follow Aaron Curtis on Twitter @aselahcurtis.

Source link